Hearts are breaking all over the world as horse lovers learn that Barbaro, the great horse who fell in the Preakness, had to be put to sleep yesterday morning. The brave animal fought the odds for so long and became a hero in eyes of many, including those that never really had followed horse racing. I can't imagine what his owners, his handlers, the vets, the techs, everyone that put so much effort into his recovery, are going through right now. It must have been one of the most difficult decisions they have ever made. The time, the money, and just the investment of love for 8 months in hopes he would recover enough to enjoy the blue grass pastures once more...and then just walk away from it all. However hard it was, it was the right thing to do. While I don't know what happens to horses when they die, I'd like to think that Barbaro is running free in the most beautiful meadow you can imagine. It wasn't a matter of giving up, just knowing that it was the right thing to do.
You could apply this whole situation to relationships as well, if you think about it for a moment. There are people in my life that are trying so hard to save a relationship that they have invested in for so long. They have put their whole heart and soul in to it and are hoping for that one last miracle. However, there comes a time when you have to walk away. It's not quitting, it's the realization that your well-being and your life will be better if you let go.
God bless you, Barbaro. I'm so glad you can run again....
"To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven."
Ecclesiastes 3:1
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Nice piece, Jenny. Your words echo those being felt around the world. I read one comment yesterday to the effect that "he was just a horse, and even I felt sad." I chuckled at that comment, thinking of how many of us don't consider them "just a horse."
Our love should not be exclusively reserved for humans. After all, in many cases, horses, dogs, cats, you name it, are every bit as fulfilling and sometimes much more than some humans.
This was, indeed, sad, but Barbaro in his struggle to survive once more proved that there's a whole lot more to living well than winning another race. He has immortalized himself in racing history but more so in the hearts of all who appreciate the good fight.
I think you know something about that! :)
Post a Comment