Nearly a year ago, I stood on stage with two dear friends and talked about our film called, "Jenny's Journal." In that question and answer period, an audience member asked what my next goal would be. See, I had made a huge deal of being able to take our daughter to kindergarten and a year ago, saw that dream come to life so what was the next step for me?? I kind of stuttered over the question because I was seriously thinking that I didn't need to set another goal. I'm enjoying this "bonus" time God has given so each day is truly another miracle. However, my friend stepped in and answered, telling the audience member that it would be a good idea to have a cookie contest at our local fair in one year. That would be my goal.
Well, God does amazing things. Here it is fair time, and we have once again made it to the place we set out to. My friend Marianne and I competed in a cookie contest. Two categories...snickerdoodles and chocolate chip. The results??? Well, she placed second in the chocolate chip category and didn't place in the snickerdoodles. While I placed first in the snickerdoodles and didn't place in the chocolate chip. So I guess, technically, I won. In a big way. I'm still here. That's the most prized "ribbon" of all. So I thank Marianne for coming up with a great goal for me. It was an absolute joy to compete on so many levels. It will be something I look forward to every year from here on out.
Other news from the fair...
The most wonderful thing that happened yesterday was walking up to the sewing category (open class - no less!) and seeing your baby's pillow with a big blue ribbon. Her grandma helped her make a horse pillow for me and she entered it this year, ending up with first place! She also got a participant ribbon for her garden creature and of course, her cloverbud ribbon.
We did surprisingly well this year. I placed first in photography for a black and white of my horse, first for our bush beans, first for our carrots, and second for our yukon gold potatoes. We also took home a first for our molasses cookies. A big thank you to Auntie Kathy for that recipe. The only things that didn't place were the chocolate chip cookies (which my father accused me of breaking the superintendant's dentures with them) and a plate of 3 different kinds of cookies. It was a great year. We're already gearing up, thinking about what to enter next year.
"He who pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor."
Proverbs 21:21
Thursday, August 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Nice work on the fair!! Great job Grace on the pillow - I was so excited for you both. Sorry to hear about the chocolate chip cookies - you can't be good at everything I guess (but you my friend come close). Love You guys, A
p.s. I think I have had your snickerdoodles and they are great!
p.p.s Hear is my fervent prayer: another cookie contest in a year!
Next year, it will be the great green bean stand off. I've gotta get back to blues with my beans. They still taste good even if they didn't win a ribbon.
And, I'm so glad we reached the cookie goal. I'm proud to be second place to a winner with good cookies and phenomenal inspiration.
Next year, we'll say it's BEAN a good year! And, I'll beet you with my beans. Yeah, beets will come the next year, so get ready. Lettuce keep this competition going and going and going.
Marianne
How awesome! I have always wanted to enter the fair. I remember when my Great Grandma won the blue ribbon for her crocheted pineapple table cloth. We were so proud. -S
Congrats on all the ribbons! It was great to see you for a short minute yesterday. I loved the picture of your horse!!! Good luck on the upcoming bean competition.
~Connie
Post a Comment