My husband took me elk hunting on Friday afternoon. That evening, I missed a nice bull elk. It was a small 6 X 6, but something I would have been bragging about for years to come. Despite the words from my husband and my family, I didn't feel like going out again over the weekend. I don't know, I guess I let the missed shot take down my confidence as a hunter and so I allowed it to effect the entire last weekend of elk season. I'm kicking myself now for being that way since that's not really how I handle adversity in my life. The great coach, Kay Yow, says "when life kicks you, let it kick you forward." Instead of wallowing (no pun intended for elk hunters out there), I should have just gone out again and tried to find another opportunity. I would have had another chance instead of sitting in my living room dreaming about what might have been. Now I only have a few more days left in the season, but my handsome guide works for a living so we'll probably not be able to get out there. I definitely learned a lesson in self-pity, and it just doesn't work for me.
That was rough.... Thing to do now is try and forget it.... I guess I don't quite mean that. It's not a thing you can forget. Maybe not even a thing you want to forget.... Life's like that sometimes... Now and then for no good reason a man can figure out, life will just haul off and knock him flat, slam him agin' the ground so hard it seems like all his insides is busted. But it's not all like that. A lot of it's mighty fine, and you can't afford to waste the good part frettin' about the bad. That makes it all bad.... Sure, I know - sayin' it's one thing and feelin' it's another. But I'll tell you a trick that's sometimes a big help. When you start lookin' around for something good to take the place of the bad, as a general rule you can find it.
~From the movie Old Yeller
Monday, October 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment