Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Gentle Reminder for the Holidays

Today's message is for me. As a type-A personality, I constantly need this friendly little reminder in my own life...especially around the holidays. Despite who is coming over to my house, it must sparkle. I don't care who it is, I find myself panicking if I know that someone is on the way over, and I have a dirty sink or some kind of mess to pick up. Granted, I have relaxed in a certain sense in the recent years, but old habits die hard. The funny thing is that whoever is coming over probably does not even notice the mess that I'm talking about. They're only there to visit with my family or myself, not judge me for the house that I keep. This is very similar to our relationship with God. Sometimes we run around trying to be the Super Christian in an effort to impress those around us, particularly Him. We'll run from function to function hoping that someone will notice how much good you can accomplish in the world. The thing is, you don't need to be noticed. God wants to know how you're doing and desires to spend time with you, just like a visitor at my house. The rest is just busyness that is unproductive. I know there are things we can for others in the church and I'm sure God appreciates a clean house, but there is a middle ground there and we all need to find it.

"He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit."

Titus 3:5

1 comment:

IdahoGirls said...

So good. So true. With that, I will NOT clean my fride out today as I had intended to do!