Last week, my daughter brought a book to read at school. She asks all the time, but I never know if she actually gets to read it or not since the teacher only has time for so many students to read to the class. Not giving it any thought, I said yes to a book called Give Me Grace. This happens to be her birthday so I go to her class with the cupcakes and the teacher pulls me aside. She wanted to let me know that she couldn't let my daughter read it to the class because it was about prayer. She said she explained why to my daughter and told her that it was fine if she wanted to read it to her at lunch recess. At once, a whole mix of emotions consume me, and I'm not sure how to respond. I apologize to the teacher and blame it on myself for not thinking about the public school environment. At the same time, I just wanted to hug my daughter and tell her how proud she had made me. Then, I'm furious because what is my daughter supposed to think? That it's not okay to talk about God...ever? We got a chance to talk later, and she didn't seem embarrassed by the situation, but I don't think she could really wrap her head around the idea. I pray that this doesn't affect her ability to openly talk about her faith and what she believes in the future. I guess, as long as we talk about it as parents and keep instilling that faith, she'll continue to hold it in her heart.
"My son, keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you."
Proverbs 6:20-22
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This is a tough one to swallow for sure... It sounds like you handled it amazingly well!!
Post a Comment