Thursday, December 20, 2007

Mary's Strength

This week I received a package from the "Barnabus" in my life. Once again, she finds a way to apply the perfect lesson and scripture to my life just when I need it most. I have asked her repeatedly to share this wisdom on her blog, but for now, I guess I'll be the one to express her thoughts. I think this one is too powerful to keep to myself.

I was listening to the story of how Mary first heard she was going to have a baby. There was God's miracle laid out plain and simple, and I marveled at how well Mary took the news. In so many ways, it was devastating - an unwed mother who was so, so young - but while Mary was afraid, she was so strong. Mary simply replied, "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said." Luke 1:38

The circumstances we are dealt in life are part of God's plan. We must roll with God's plan for our life whether we like it or not. Yes, we can be afraid, but we also have the strength of His love holding us up no matter what we go through. There is a purpose and we must abide by it. We must be like Mary and just step up, accepting the circumstances without question.

"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37

2 comments:

Shawn S. said...

How true and how powerful to think that in Mary's yes, Christ was made man. He became incarnate.

The scripture you reference is the source for many devotions worth our attention, like the Angelus:

V/. The Angel of the Lord brought tidings unto Mary,
R/. And she conceived by the Holy Ghost.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. (Lk 1:28) Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. (Lk 1:42).
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

V/. "Behold the handmaid of the Lord."
R/. "Be it unto me according to thy Word."

Hail Mary, full of grace...

V/. And the Word was made flesh,
R/. And dwelt among us.

Hail Mary, full of grace...

V/. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.
R/. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray: We beseech thee, O Lord, pour thy grace into our hearts, that as we have known the Incarnation of thy Son Jesus Christ by the message of an angel, so by His Cross and Passion we may be brought unto the glory of His Resurrection; through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

live love laugh hope said...

Your strength and your words amaze me, Jenny! You are an inspiration to me in so many things. When I start to feel down about something, I think of you and feel really dumb for having a pity party! You are an amazing woman of God. Merry Christmas!
Love,
Connie