Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Bad Things, Good People

A close friend and I were talking last night. We were both feeling a bit sad because it seemed like a lot of bad things were happening in the lives of those we loved and cared about. The call was prompted by the news that our daughters' gymnastics coaches had been involved in a car wreck that left one of them in intensive care. The young women that coach our girls have an amazing faith. They not only teach our kids how to be disciplined in gymnastics, but to be an amazing person as well. It's a wonderful environment for our daughters to be in, especially in this day and age.

I have never asked, "Why me, God?" in my situation, but I do find myself asking, "Why her or him, God?" I don't understand why bad things happen to good people. In fact, last night, I went straight to my bible after our conversation to find some reassurance. We could all come up with different conclusions, but I'll give you my take on it all. I guess it's because when the bad things happen to good people, there is a certain hope that you can't ignore. They seem to find the blessing that is hidden within the circumstances and make the most of it. We learn from their attitude and their willingness to find God's message in it all. They teach us to make the most of each day and rearrange our priorities. God is speaking through the trial they face, and we should all pay attention.

"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance, and perseverance, character; and character, hope."
Romans 5:3

1 comment:

CameronsCastle said...

We will be praying that the girls' coaches will make a fast and full recovery.