Friday, September 14, 2007

Bird Rescue Mission

Grandma has large windows that look out over her birds. While it's a lot of fun to see all the different species that come to eat at her feeders, it can be treacherous for the winged visitors. Throughout the day, you can hear multiple "thumps" as birds think they can fly into the window. Most make it, some don't, and some end up wounded....like the one we found the other day. As we were walking home from the bus stop, my daughter spotted a woodpecker that couldn't fly. Immediately, her "vet" desires kicked in and wanted to save this little creature. We put it in a tub with wood and water and tried to find bugs for it. It ate, drank, and relieved itself, making us think that we were on the road to recovery. Yesterday morning, our yellow-bellied sapsucker was no longer with us as I went out to check on things in the morning. I had a choice to either tell our daughter or let it slide until after school. On our way out to the stop, she asked if she could go see him. I made the decision to tell her he died and she cried all the way to the bus stop. This was hard for a mom. I wanted to lie, but I knew it wasn't right. I asked her if she would have rather had me lie about his state, but she said she was glad that I told her the truth. The truth can be very uncomfortable, but it's always the right thing to do. I eventually got her calmed down and told her that there were going to be many more "bird rescues," and maybe one day, we'll have a successful mission.

"An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips."
Proverbs 24:26

3 comments:

CameronsCastle said...

Thank you! I needed this today... it seems to be a "tell it like it is" day all around.

Have a great weekend...

Ang

Sara K. said...

I am reminded of the bird that pecked at our window in college. I was less concerned about its well-being. So lovely that you're precious girl is so compassionate and passionate about all animals. -S

IdahoGirls said...

I thought of the same thing as Sara. We had a similar incident around here (only Sassy was to blame for the injury). It was awful. Poor you guys, but I am sure you handled it perfectly - way to go Jen!!!