Sunday, November 05, 2006

Martha vs. Mary

I have always struggled with the Mary & Martha story in the bible. That's probably because I'm more like Martha than Mary on a daily basis. It's very humbling to read the story about this woman who wants a perfect looking house and a perfect meal in order to host Christ. However, her sister, Mary, could care less. She just wants to hear what Christ has to say. She ENJOYS his company and takes in all he has to say. Martha gets all huffy about this and wants to know why Mary won't help. This is how Christ answers....

"...Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her."
Luke 10:41,42

Why am I bringing this up today? I'm hosting a family party this evening. I need to remind myself that it's about the little miracle we're celebrating. Not the clean toilets or the food display. It's about family and sharing time together.

No comments: