Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Sports and the Bible

I admit it. I can't stand to lose. I have always been like that as well as my husband. Needless to say, it was a rough weekend at our house. Michigan lost to Ohio State on Saturday then one of our least favorite drivers won the NASCAR Nextel Cup on Sunday (no offense, mom). We have always been competitive in everything we do. In thinking about this whole winning thing, I stumbled across this scripture....

"I returned and saw under the sun that-
The race is not to the swift,
Nor the battle to the strong,
Nor bread to the wise,
Nor riches to men of understanding,
Nor favor to men of skill;
But time and chance happen to them all."
Ecclesiastes 9:11

We would like to think the best always win, that the deserving are always rewarded, but in the end, God determines their lot. Maybe it really is..."win or lose, it's how you play the game."

However, on a much lighter note, it may mean that Ohio State will eventually get what's coming to them when Michigan meets them again for the National Title.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew that the outcome of that game would not be an appreciated outcome at your house. But a double dose with the NASCAR win is just not great!

PS-We have missed your visits to our blog!

IdahoGirls said...

If it is any consolation... I too am competitive, and I have noticed lately that I have passed that on to my daughter. Not one of the greatest traits to see in a 5 year old, and very humbling at times to see that she has picked that up from me so early in life. I guess there are positive sides to it, but there are some negatives too. I have a letter started (in my head) and I have a feeling it won't get sent until after Thansgiving!!!