Friday, November 03, 2006

The Story Behind "Mangy Moose Acres"

I was lacking inspiration this morning so I thought I would feed my animals before I did my post. I get a lot of heckling from my family about the animal count at Mangy Moose Acres, but I really do believe they provide me a lot more peace than stress. For example... Wednesday was very cold, but there was this opening in the afternoon where the sun just beat down. I took the time to just hang out with my horse and brush her out. I was singing and just loving her up. That is some serious therapy...and you horse lovers know what I'm talking about. There is nothing like the smell of a horse or a horse hug.

HOWEVER, there are days when the family concerns are justified. Like this morning when I went out to feed. I was looking for inspiration, but not in the ways of a busted fence. Yes, there is a reason we call it Mangy Moose Acres. It's because the "blankety-blankety" moose walk right through things, and we live in moose central during the winter. It's doing that cold rain thing and I'm out there with a frozen fence, muttering under my breath...not the most peaceful animal moment.

As crazy as it sounds, it's all worth it. I'm back in the house and warm. My donkey and horse didn't run off (they're too lazy to do that), and I still love my animals. All 9 of God's creatures.

"And God made the beast of the earth according to its kind, cattle according to to its kind, and everything that creeps on the earth according to its kind. AND GOD SAW THAT IT WAS GOOD."
Genesis 1:25

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Us city-folks LOVE to see any moose that we can (I can remember how excited I was to see one when I visited you)- even if that means just the ones at the zoo!!! I never knew that they could be so destructive!!!
Good thing that the other animals didn't notice the fence! And I say, the more animals the better!!!! I am really missing having an animal friend in the house!

MLove said...

While you were out fixing fence and muttering under your breath, I was shoveling horse ---- and marveling at how good it feels to go out each morning, commiserate with my horses, turn them out and then clean up after them.

While this is occurring, resident cats and dogs hang around the barn searching for errant horse apples or waiting for Mom to kick the Folgers can. It's the best life one could ever live.

So, I concur with your message today. Without the animals, we could be pretty empty souls.

IdahoGirls said...

Not so sure I can buy that the "horse smell" is a good thing, but that is what I love about having you as my friend. In many ways, we are soooo alike and in a few ways we are different. I love hearing about mangy moose acres and all the excitement that comes your way! Still laughing about the blankety blank moose (not the fence part though)!