Friday, November 17, 2006

Perfectionism

A week has passed by, and I think I can finally share the experience of my first parent-teacher conference. It was rough...let me tell ya. Oh yes, our daughter meets all expectations and is ready for first grade. However, if she needs something to work on, it's this.... She tends to be self-critical and is a bit of a perfectionist. Ouch. I knew at age 3 that I had a type-A personality on my hands. I mean, she was lining up bath toys in the tub and putting her Halloween candy in categories. Needless to say, I feel a bit guilty. Only because I have produced a clone on accident. I didn't realize that no matter how you "parent" your kids, they pretty much do exactly what you do...not what you say. I think it was Ralph Waldo Emerson that said, "Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying." Something to remember, that's for sure.

In all of this, it makes me realize that God made us the way we are. His work is perfect (Deuteronomy 32:4), but we can't get any closer to Him by trying to cut the straightest line, bake the best cookies, or color the prettiest picture. We can only become more like Him (which is true perfection) if we invest in our relationship with Him.

"for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God."
Hebrews 7:19

1 comment:

CameronsCastle said...

Hey now... if Grace is a Jenny clone, how proud you must be that she is sweet-natured, honest, resilient, nurturing, gifted, caring, empethetic, respectful, should I go on?

:)